‘Dead’ candidate elected to mayor position in village in Mexico
07/11/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Mexico City – Investigations are underway into how a man was elected mayor of a village in Mexico after being declared dead. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), a death certificate indicating Lenin Carballido died of a diabetic coma in 2010 was used by his relatives to persuade police to dismiss an arrest warrant for his alleged participation in a 2004 gang rape.
A living Carballido subsequently won the position of mayor in a recent state election in San Agustin Amatengo in Oaxaca. Oaxaca officials stated Thursday that the information on the death certificate had been faked.
Rey Morales, the state leader of Carballido’s party, the leftist Democratic Revolution Party, known as the PRD, is quoted by the AP as stating of the deception, “When he registered as a candidate, he presented all his paperwork, his birth certificate, a letter stating he had no criminal record.
“He fooled the prosecutors’ office, he fooled the office of records, he fooled electoral officials… If all this is true, he cannot take office as mayor.”
Carballido may still face charges in connection with the gang rape in addition to charges related to election-law violations.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Mexico City legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Many express confusion over Indiana bicycle laws
- Child migrant surge changes tone of immigration debate
- Casey Kasem’s daughter seeks autopsy in father’s death
- Gay marriage ban void upheld by federal court
- Yellowstone sites closed after hot spot melts road
- Judge allows tenant additional time at ‘Real Housewives’ couples’ home
- Gay marriage approved by judge in Florida Keys
- Meningitis victims questioned in FBI probe
- Approval given to hire 100 workers for Georgia child safety case investigations
- KKK uses candy filled goodie bags to recruit new members