‘Dead’ candidate elected to mayor position in village in Mexico
07/11/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Mexico City – Investigations are underway into how a man was elected mayor of a village in Mexico after being declared dead. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), a death certificate indicating Lenin Carballido died of a diabetic coma in 2010 was used by his relatives to persuade police to dismiss an arrest warrant for his alleged participation in a 2004 gang rape.
A living Carballido subsequently won the position of mayor in a recent state election in San Agustin Amatengo in Oaxaca. Oaxaca officials stated Thursday that the information on the death certificate had been faked.
Rey Morales, the state leader of Carballido’s party, the leftist Democratic Revolution Party, known as the PRD, is quoted by the AP as stating of the deception, “When he registered as a candidate, he presented all his paperwork, his birth certificate, a letter stating he had no criminal record.
“He fooled the prosecutors’ office, he fooled the office of records, he fooled electoral officials… If all this is true, he cannot take office as mayor.”
Carballido may still face charges in connection with the gang rape in addition to charges related to election-law violations.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Mexico City legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Oscar Pistorius receives 5-year prison sentence for girlfriend’s death
- Global warming linked to mass extinction millions of years ago, study says
- Ebola to make chocolate prices soar?
- Nicole Scherzinger opens up about self-esteem battle, new album
- Panel approves $800,000 in spending for help with Ebola in Ohio
- Nurse’s aide in Spain now free of Ebola
- Maria Menounos has run in with attacker
- Black bear eats man after death
- Ricki Lake, husband of two years split up
- Facebook seeks to ‘unfriend’ DEA fake profile pages