‘Dead’ candidate elected to mayor position in village in Mexico
07/11/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Mexico City – Investigations are underway into how a man was elected mayor of a village in Mexico after being declared dead. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), a death certificate indicating Lenin Carballido died of a diabetic coma in 2010 was used by his relatives to persuade police to dismiss an arrest warrant for his alleged participation in a 2004 gang rape.
A living Carballido subsequently won the position of mayor in a recent state election in San Agustin Amatengo in Oaxaca. Oaxaca officials stated Thursday that the information on the death certificate had been faked.
Rey Morales, the state leader of Carballido’s party, the leftist Democratic Revolution Party, known as the PRD, is quoted by the AP as stating of the deception, “When he registered as a candidate, he presented all his paperwork, his birth certificate, a letter stating he had no criminal record.
“He fooled the prosecutors’ office, he fooled the office of records, he fooled electoral officials… If all this is true, he cannot take office as mayor.”
Carballido may still face charges in connection with the gang rape in addition to charges related to election-law violations.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Mexico City legal news.
Online Justice News Flash Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Mayor arrested on drug cartel extortion charges
- Former priest convicted in sex abuse case
- White supremacist charged in shooting deaths at Jewish community sites
- North Dakota abortion law overturned by federal judge
- US Airways investigates pornographic tweet sent after customer complaint
- Woman arrested after police attempt to return $50
- Mystery of 1971 disappearance of teens solved
- Phoenix woman ordered jailed over Clinton shoe throwing incident
- Veteran teacher fired after ordering ‘hit’ on student
- Woman accused of killing her newborns appears in court