Eleven-year-old’s pregnancy sparks Chile abortion debate
07/05/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Chile – The case of a pregnant 11-year-old has sparked an abortion debate regarding Chilean law. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), national outrage ensued after reports surfaced about the child becoming pregnant after being raped repeatedly by her mother’s partner in Chile.
The partner of the child’s mother was arrested and confessed to the abuse.
According to doctors, the life of the young girl and that of the fetus are at high risk; however, Chile does not allow abortions, even for medical reasons. A number of Chileans expressed their outrage on social media on Friday, with some beginning an online petition to demand that abortions be permitted in cases where a pregnancy presents health risks to the mother.
Eduardo Hernandez, a 30-year-old web designer, is quoted by the AP as stating of the issue, “It’s the first online petition I’ve signed in my life, but I think this case really deserves it… We should have a law. I hope this case serves as precedent to have a serious discussion about abortion.”
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in world health law news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Actor admits to inappropriate conduct with minors
- Texas meteorologist shot in parking lot of news station
- Body of missing pregnant woman found in car
- Cell phone app designed to detect how drunk people are
- Rose McGowan says “being sexualized” led to career change
- Cosby daughter, wife break silence about allegations against comedian
- Pennsylvania murder suspect found dead following manhunt
- 9-year-old driver crashes vehicle, two children killed
- Wal-Mart ordered to pay $188 million in employee lawsuit
- Jennifer Aniston discusses pressures to have children