Mentally disabled New York couple takes battle to live together to court
07/01/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
New York – A mentally disabled New York couple has found a home to share after initiating a court battle regarding their right to live together. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), Paul Forziano and his wife, who were married in April, filed a lawsuit seeking to have their request for the group homes where they previously lived separately to accommodate their wishes for a shared space adhered to.
According to the federal civil rights lawsuit, the facility in which Paul Forziano lived denied their request to live together asserting individuals who require the services of a group home did not by definition have the capability of living as a married couple. The refusal of the home in which his wife was living was based on their claim that she could not consent to sex due to her mental capacity.
The couple’s attorney, Martin Coleman, is quoted by the AP as stating of continuing the court battle even though a place has been found for them to live together, “You don’t know what’s going to happen in the future… People like Paul and Hava have to have the ability to move around if they want to. There’s only a limited number of providers. We need to be sure they’re not closed out of places.”
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in New York legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Atheist jailed for parole violation wins settlement over religious objections
- City of Houston demands sermons from pastors
- Second nurse from Texas hospital found to have Ebola
- Investigation shows increase in traffic fatalities amid Texas fracking explosion
- Hospital nurses say no Ebola protocol in place where nurse contracted virus
- State throws out elementary school’s test results
- Charges filed against man in overdose of 9-year-old
- Phaedra Parks opens up about divorce, addresses rumors
- Marshawn Lynch accuser charged with making a false statement
- Human remains found on property of missing woman’s daughter