What is Long-Term Disability Insurance, and Am I Eligible for It?
06/12/2013 // Wright Disability Firm // Wright & Wright // (press release)
Long-term disability (LTD) insurance is a type of insurance that may be purchased by individuals or groups. Some companies provide access to long-term disability benefits through insurance policies for their employees in addition to offering life insurance. These policies in general pay up to 60 percent of an employee’s income that they earned prior to their becoming disabled and unable to work.
For workers whose employers provide this type of coverage, it can be a challenging to obtain benefits under these policies. Insurance providers of long-term disability insurance typically assess claims differently than the federal government would for a Social Security disability claim, taking a far less neutral stance.. However, most LTD policies require the employee to file for Social Security Disability Insurance benefits (SSDI) in addition to the LTD claim. Whereas, if approved, the LTD benefits can be paid in along with the SSDI, but typically at a reduced rate. A long-term disability lawyer can help one assess whether they are eligible for long-term disability insurance through their employer’s provider and discuss how a SSDI claim will impact the receipt of LTD benefits.
LTD insurance is different from the disability benefits provided by the Social Security Administration, and individuals who are not familiar with these differences may benefit from speaking with a disability attorney or advocate about their filing options.
Wright & Wright, America’s Social Security Disability Firm? is available to help individuals who are looking to file a claim for Social Security Disability Insurance, Supplemental Security Income, or long-term disability insurance. The firm can provide answers for those with questions about their eligibility and guide clients on the steps to take to achieve a successful outcome for their case.
If you need help filing a disability claim, contact Wright & Wright today and request a free disability case evaluation.
Address: San Antonio, TX
Phone: (888) 960-7734
Other News / Press Releases
- A Doctor’s Resignation Letter by Employment lawyer Keith Clouse
- Cardiologist accused of attempting to have rival doctor killed
- Former Daimler worker files lawsuit alleging discrimination
- Twitter Accused of Gender Bias in Discrimination Lawsuit
- Senator calls extended Gulf oil leak ‘unacceptable’
- Driver crashes into L.A. Times building, becomes injured
- Former NFL player convicted of murder
- Lamborghini and Ferrari crash in Beijing
- Indiana HIV outbreak passes 100 confirmed cases
- Suicide note of transgender teen gets attention of White House