Girl with special needs kicked out of theater for “humming”
06/18/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
New Bedford – A girl with special needs was reportedly kicked out of a theater during a musical production of “Beauty and the Beast” for making noises, which the theater marketing director claims led to complaints from audience members. As reported by SouthCoastToday.com, Samantha Torres says she was told to leave the theater due to her five-year-old daughter, who suffers from a rare chromosome abnormality that leaves her unable to speak, “squealing and giggling and humming” during the show.
Marketing Director P.J. Prokop of the Providence Performing Arts Center purports Torres was offered different seats after audience members began complaining; however, Torres maintains she was told to leave as opposed to being offered another seating arrangement. She also claims her child did not appear to be disturbing anyone due to where they were seated and the loud volume of the audio.
Prokop is quoted in the report as stating of the matter, “It is the theater’s responsibility to try and ensure that everyone can hear and have a good time.”
The Providence Performing Arts Center has reportedly offered to conduct sensitivity training for its ushers since the June 2 incident.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Massachusetts legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Former wrestler dies in apparent suicide reports say
- George Zimmerman accused of threatening to kill driver
- Dismissal of Florida smoker lawsuits against tobacco companies upheld by court
- Wyoming workplace deaths decline, study shows
- Remains of missing Tennessee woman identified
- Kris Jenner increases security after receiving death threats?
- Google announces acquisition of Lift Labs
- Jury award reduced by half in police car crash case
- Man arrested after allegedly stalking Bristol Palin
- Trump Taj Mahal could close amid bankruptcy filing