Girl with special needs kicked out of theater for “humming”
06/18/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
New Bedford – A girl with special needs was reportedly kicked out of a theater during a musical production of “Beauty and the Beast” for making noises, which the theater marketing director claims led to complaints from audience members. As reported by SouthCoastToday.com, Samantha Torres says she was told to leave the theater due to her five-year-old daughter, who suffers from a rare chromosome abnormality that leaves her unable to speak, “squealing and giggling and humming” during the show.
Marketing Director P.J. Prokop of the Providence Performing Arts Center purports Torres was offered different seats after audience members began complaining; however, Torres maintains she was told to leave as opposed to being offered another seating arrangement. She also claims her child did not appear to be disturbing anyone due to where they were seated and the loud volume of the audio.
Prokop is quoted in the report as stating of the matter, “It is the theater’s responsibility to try and ensure that everyone can hear and have a good time.”
The Providence Performing Arts Center has reportedly offered to conduct sensitivity training for its ushers since the June 2 incident.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Massachusetts legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- One person killed in collapse of bridge in Texas
- Kelly Ripa no longer in touch with Regis Philbin?
- Amanda Knox conviction overturned by Italian court
- Woman won’t face murder charges after cutting fetus from womb
- Texas Supreme Court Rules in Workers’ Compensation Matter
- Lara Logan again hospitalized for complications from 2011 attack
- Mariel Hemingway forced to fight off famed director’s advances in her teens
- Chelsea Handler discusses past uncomfortable experience with with Bill Cosby
- Burglary suspects gives secret hiding place away on Snapchat
- Government contractor, daughter among American victims in French Alps crash