Disability Attorney News: What Are My Chances for Winning a Disability Appeal?
03/21/2013 // San Antonio, Texas, US // Wright Disability Firm // Wright & Wright // (press release)
(Disability Attorney News) Winning an appeal after being denied initial approval for a Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income claim can be challenging. An initial denial can deter applicants from proceeding further to try to obtain benefits, but in a significant number of cases, those who may be eligible for SSDI or SSI are not awarded benefits until the appeal stage.
One of the most common questions asked by Social Security Disability applicants is: what are my chances of winning an appeal? Although approval cannot be guaranteed for any case, understanding the reasons for denial at any stage of the application process can help an applicant better assess what should be considered to appeal their claim.
Of the more than 2,000,000 claims estimated to be submitted each year for Social Security Disability, approximately one-third are denied initially. Many of these are denied based on some type of technicality or error in filling out an application, including missing required medical documentation or incomplete details about an applicant’s history. Correcting these errors can help eligible applicants receive approval at the first appeal stage called a “Request for Reconsideration.” For those whose applications have been denied upon reconsideration, it may be necessary to proceed to a hearing and have their claim brought before , an administrative law judge. Significantly more people are approved in the hearing stages than are with a reconsideration appeal. If a claim is denied at a hearing the applicant can either appeal the hearing decision to the Appeals Council, or start over with a filing new claim. In some circumstances a claim can be brought into federal court if the Appeals Council denies review.
A SSD attorney or disability advocates can help those who are faced with the decision of whether or not to appeal a denied claim for benefits at any stage. The advocates of Wright & Wright, America’s Social Security Disability Firm® are available to provide those in need of assistance with a free case evaluation. Individuals may contact the firm today.
Address: San Antonio, Texas
Phone: (888) 960-7734
Other News / Press Releases
- San Francisco California Consumer Protection Lawyer Discusses Airbag Recalls
- Sexual Harassment and the Office Holiday Party
- Cary Been Consumer Protection Attorney Highlights Deceptive Advertising Battle
- Watch SEC Whistleblower Hangout by California Whistleblower Lawyer
- Lawsuit Accuses Jimmy John’s of Requiring Employees To Work Off The Clock
- Exempt Income in Bankruptcy Cases Expanded
- Lawsuit Accuses Uber of Stealing Drivers’ Tips and Misclassification
- San Francisco Whistleblower Lawyer Speaks Out About Blowing the Whistle on Fraud
- Privatizing the Attorney Grievance Process: Startup Disrupts the Legal Industry
- The False Claims Act and The Heroic Imagination Project