Appeals court reinstates lawsuit of inmate seeking sex change
01/28/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
New York – A federal appeals court has reinstated the lawsuit of an inmate seeking to undergo a sex change operation. As reported by Reuters, the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Ophelia Azriel De’lonta, who born Michael Stokes, is allowed to argue that the refusal of Virginia authorities to allow the operation is a violation of the prisoner’s Eighth Amendment rights, which prohibits cruel and unusual punishment.
De’lonta is stated to suffer from gender identity disorder, which according to the World Professional Association for Transgender Health, in some cases requires sex reassignment surgery.
Judge Albert Diaz is quoted in the report as writing in the three-judge panel’s unanimous decision, “In these cases, the surgery is not considered experimental or cosmetic; is it an accepted, medically indicated treatment.”
As noted in the report, the appeals court’s decision does not order the receipt of the surgery, it finds De’lonta’s lawsuit to be practical in accordance with provision of the Eight Amendment.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in New York legal news.
Online Justice News Flash Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Pilot in fatal plane crash may have fake license, Russian investigators say
- Jennifer Lopez files for legal name change in divorce
- Apple spends more than $60 million on attorneys in US in Samsung battle
- Sharon Osbourne writes open letter to estranged brother on Facebook
- State Supreme Court hears arguments on Florida medical marijuana measure
- Teens arrested months after fatal car crash for allowing friend to drive drunk
- Black student California university admissions lag post race consideration ban
- Many in South Africa, across globe mourn the death of Nelson Mandela
- Study suggest ancient human inbreeding more widespread than believed
- Man advertises engagement ring on Craigslist worn by ‘Satan herself’