Dallas Pradaxa Lawyer Reports Consolidation of Product Liability Litigation
08/08/2012 (press release: kayvanwey) // Ms. Van Wey
On August 8, 2012, the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation issued an order consolidating all pending and future Pradaxa cases in multidistrict litigation (MDL) in the Southern District of Illinois under the supervision of Judge David R. Herndon.
The Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML) issued a Transfer Order centralizing Pradaxa product liability litigation in the Southern District of Illinois. The Pradaxa MDL, entitled In Re: Pradaxa Product Liability Litigation currently consists of 21 lawsuits pending in 11 federal jurisdictions throughout the United States. The Transfer Order, signed by John G. Heyburn, II, Chairman of the Panel on Multidistrict Litigation, stated that Pradaxa actions involve common issues and questions of fact. The JPML opined that centralizing the cases in the Southern District of Illinois will serve the convenience of all parties.
The JPML noted in its Transfer Order that all Pradaxa cases share common factual questions arising from allegations that plaintiffs suffered severe bleeding or other serious injuries caused by Pradaxa. The JPML felt that the consolidation of Pradaxa cases will eliminate duplicative discovery, prevent inconsistent pretrial rulings and conserve the resources of the parties and the court system. The JPML selected Judge Herndon to preside over the MDL proceedings based on his vast experience as an MDL judge. Judge Herndon has presided over the Yasmin and Yaz product liability litigation, which is one of the largest pharmaceutical products liability actions in the United States.
A motion for consolidation was filed on May 30, 2012 requesting that a Pradaxa Product Liability MDL be established to consolidate Pradaxa lawsuits. The motion for consolidation was based on common allegations against Pradaxa’s manufacturer, Boehringer Ingelheim, contained in cases currently pending in federal jurisdictions the United States.
Pradaxa Internal Bleeding
The complaints that have already been filed allege the following:
• Pradaxa causes uncontrolled and excessive bleeding.
• Boehringer Ingelheim failed to warn healthcare professionals that there is no effective reversal agent to counteract the anticoagulant effects of Pradaxa.
• The lack of a reversal agent has caused life-threatening conditions, permanent disability, and deaths.
• In its advertising campaigns, Boehringer Ingelheim exaggerated the effectiveness of Pradaxa with respect to preventing stroke and blood clots.
• Boehringer Ingelheim failed to properly research Pradaxa before seeking FDA approval of the drug.
• Boehringer Ingelheim failed to warn consumers about the risk of severe bleeding events associated with the drug.
Pradaxa attorney, Kay Van Wey, explains that the MDL procedure was established to streamline the legal process for ease in handling complex legal issues. The consolidation of personal injury or product liability lawsuits as part of an MDL is common in complex pharmaceutical litigation involving a large number of lawsuits with similar facts and allegations. Cases are consolidated into an MDL for purposes of case management and discovery. After pretrial proceedings and discovery has been completed, cases may be returned to the original court for trial.
Ms. Van Wey also reports that the pending litigation alleges that Boehringer Ingelheim failed to warn healthcare professionals and consumers of the serious complications associated with the drug. The plaintiffs allege that the use of Pradaxa caused massive bleeding and deaths. Actions against Boehringer Ingelheim include claims for negligence, product liability, design defects, and fraudulent concealment.
If you have suffered from Pradaxa internal bleeding or complications caused by Pradaxa, you may be entitled to compensation. Dallas Pradaxa injury attorney Kay Van Wey is currently representing patients who have been harmed by Pradaxa and their families. Ms. Van Wey is conducting confidential case evaluations and will speak with you personally regarding your potential Pradaxa injury claim. For more information, call Van Wey Law at (800) 489-5082.
Ms. Van Wey’s upcoming FREE eBook, entitled “The Truth about Pradaxa” will soon be available on her website http://www.vanweylaw.com.
Online Personal Injury Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Social Media Tags:pradaxa attorney, internal bleeding, pradaxa lawsuit
Newsroom powered by Online Press Release Distribution – SubmitMyPressRelease.com
Other News / Press Releases
- CEME Innovation Centre urges manufacturing SMEs to take control of IP rights
- Seek A Rational Comprehensive Treatment For Your Mesh Related Pain
- Bicyclist Hit and Killed by Cab in Brooklyn
- Two FBI Agents Killed in Training Accident off Virginia Beach
- Avon Recalls Microwave Popcorn Makers for Fire and Burn Hazards
- Free Vaginal Mesh Webinar Offered: Registration Now Open
- Medicaid Fraud: A Business Model Whistleblowers Can Help End
- How Common Are Medical Misdiagnoses?
- 7 Students Injured in Burlington Township School Bus Accident
- Toro® Z Master® Riding Mowers Recalled For Fire Hazards