Aide takes stand in John Edwards corruption trial
04/25/2012 // West Palm Beach, Florida, US // justicenews // Justice News Flash
North Carolina – The key witness for the prosecution gave testimony Tuesday in the corruption trial of former Senator John Edwards. As reported by The New York Times, Andrew Young, a former aide of Edwards’ took the stand for the second day and discussed intricate efforts Edwards made to conceal his affair from his family and others.
Edwards was indicted last June on six counts of felony charges linked to the misuse of campaign funds in connection with his purported extramarital affair with former campaign worker Rielle Hunter. On the witness stand Tuesday, Young disclosed details of the scheme to provide monetary support for Hunter and the use of illegal campaign contributions.
Young is quoted in the report as stating regarding plans to devise a way to support Edwards’ mistress after his then wife Elizabeth Edwards found out about the affair, “This was going to be a long-term problem, and Miss Hunter had good taste.”
Elizabeth Edwards died of breast cancer in 2010 after legally separating from her husband upon learning he fathered a child with Hunter.
Edwards may be sentenced to up to 30 years in prison if convicted of all of the charges and forced to pay $1.5 million in fines.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- ‘Modern Family’ actress dies at 55
- Padma Lakshmi splits from Richard Gere after months of dating
- Novelist apologizes for controversial remarks
- Ebola patient’s boyfriend, dog placed in isolation
- Atheist jailed for parole violation wins settlement over religious objections
- City of Houston demands sermons from pastors
- Second nurse from Texas hospital found to have Ebola
- Investigation shows increase in traffic fatalities amid Texas fracking explosion
- Hospital nurses say no Ebola protocol in place where nurse contracted virus
- State throws out elementary school’s test results