Zimmerman lawyer seeks to remove judge, keep records sealed
04/18/2012 // West Palm Beach, Florida, US // justicenews // Justice News Flash
Florida (Justice News Flash) – The attorney for George Zimmerman, the man involved in the recent controversial shooting death of 17 year-old Trayvon Martin, has filed a motion to have the judge in the murder case recused.
As reported by The Cutline, Mark O’Mara, who represents Zimmerman, made the request of the court citing a potential conflict of interest due to the judge’s purported tie to CNN legal analyst Mark NeJame. Seminole Circuit Judge Jessica Recksiedler reportedly revealed that NeJame, who stated he was formerly asked by Zimmerman to represent him in the case, is a colleague of her husband.
O’Mara is also fighting the efforts of several news organizations seeking to have an order to seal the records in the case reversed; requesting that the records remain sealed. O’Mara is quoted as stating to CNN, “It’s an overall philosophy of trying to keep the information flow concentrated within the court system.”
Zimmerman, 28, has been charged with second-degree murder for shooting and killing Martin while the teen was walking in his neighborhood.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in breaking news related to Florida criminal law.
Address: 215 South Olive, Suite 300, W. Palm Beach, Florida 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Trial opens for woman accused of kidnapping, assaulting child
- Rick Perry adds sixth attorney to legal team
- Divorce announced for Elizabeth Vargas, husband amid rehab reports
- Nick Cannon confirms he and Mariah are separated
- Jodi Arias wins delay in penalty phase retrial
- Miley Cyrus concert gets banned over ‘morality’ issues
- Singer sued over concert ad artwork
- UPS Store affected by data breach
- “Mike Brown Law” Petition sent to White House
- Feds issue report saying Beyoncé and Jay Z Cuba trip legal