Mother Sues Heart of Florida Hospital for Cutting Off Baby’s Finger
03/29/2012 // WPB, FL, USA // Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley
Tampa, FL — A Florida mother has sued the Heart of Florida Regional Medical Center in Polk County, after a nurse accidentally snipped a 3-month-old baby’s finger off with a pair of scissors. The lawsuit was filed in Polk County Court and is seeking damages in excess of $15,000, TBO.com reports.
Veronica Olguin brought her baby to the hospital on October 9, for a fever and was admitted for two days. As they were about to be discharged, nurse Emily Anna Stutz went to cut a plastic intravenous tube attached to the baby’s hand, and instead cut through the flesh and bone of the baby’ left hand pinky finger, which then fell to the floor.
The child, Selena, was 3-months-old at the time.
The lawsuit maintains that Stutz “rushed out the room screaming” while other doctors tried to save Selena’s finger. But, doctors weren’t able to save her finger.
The Heart of Florida Hospital and Stutz are being sued for negligence. The lawsuit claims that Stutz was negligent and failed to properly follow safety procedures. In addition, the suit claims that the hospital failed to train its employees on the proper use of scissors when removing intravenous tubes, and the hospital did not supervise the nurse properly.
“We deeply regret the harm to the child and want to reiterate our compassion and concern for her and her family,” hospital officials said to TBO.com. “We reached out right away to the child’s family and their attorney, but have not been able to reach a mutually agreeable resolution.”
Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for Florida personal injury lawyers.
Online Illinois News Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News
Other News / Press Releases
- I-95 Single-Vehicle Rollover Accident Injures Staten Island Woman, 3 Kids
- Construction Accident at 2nd Ave Subway Site Seriously Injures Worker
- Two-Vehicle Western NY Crash Kills Man, Injures 3
- Single-Vehicle Wreck Ejects 1, Injures 2 Others in DeWitt
- SUV, Semi-Truck Crash Ejects Driver in Lancaster
- NYC Crane Accident Kills 1, Injures 4
- “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” Faces Legal Action from Injured Stuntman
- Three-Vehicle Crash Critically Injured Mass. Woman in Upstate NY
- CPSC: Happy Shirts Recalls Toy Truck Gifts with Purchase for Fire Hazards
- School Bus Head-On Crash with BMW Injures 5 in Kingston