Update: Maintenance Workers Blamed for Fatal NYC Elevator Accident
02/29/2012 // WPB, FL, USA // Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley
New York, NY — The workers who were working on the elevator at a Manhattan office building are being blamed for the accident that killed an advertising executive just before Christmas, reported the Los Angeles Times.
On December 14, 2011, Suzanne Hart, 41, was stepping on an elevator at a Madison Avenue building when it began to rise. As Hart was halfway onto the elevator it suddenly shot up, without closing its doors first. The woman was subsequently crushed between the elevator and the shaft wall, as previously reported in “Freak NYC Elevator Accident Kills 1, Injured 2.”
The elevator reportedly went upward for about 20 feet before it stopped. Hart was pronounced dead at the scene.
According to a joint investigation by the city’s Department of Investigation and the Department of Buildings, the Transel Elevator Inc. employees were working on the elevator devices the morning of the accident, up until just a few minutes before the elevator accident.
Investigations revealed that a safety circuit designed to prevent the elevator from moving with its doors open had been overridden by a jumper wire to enable maintenance to take place, the LA Times reported.
The investigation findings were forwarded to the district attorney for possible prosecution.
Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for New York wrongful death lawyers.
Online Illinois News Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News
Other News / Press Releases
- I-95 Single-Vehicle Rollover Accident Injures Staten Island Woman, 3 Kids
- Construction Accident at 2nd Ave Subway Site Seriously Injures Worker
- Two-Vehicle Western NY Crash Kills Man, Injures 3
- Single-Vehicle Wreck Ejects 1, Injures 2 Others in DeWitt
- SUV, Semi-Truck Crash Ejects Driver in Lancaster
- NYC Crane Accident Kills 1, Injures 4
- “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” Faces Legal Action from Injured Stuntman
- Three-Vehicle Crash Critically Injured Mass. Woman in Upstate NY
- CPSC: Happy Shirts Recalls Toy Truck Gifts with Purchase for Fire Hazards
- School Bus Head-On Crash with BMW Injures 5 in Kingston