Deerfield Beach FL criminal update: 15-year-old charged as adult in beating case
Legal News for Florida Criminal Attorneys. Wayne Treacy, the 15-year-old who nearly killed a Deerfield Beach Middle School student, was charged as an adult.
News for Florida criminal lawyers- Boy charged as adult with attempted murder after attack on Deerfield Beach Middle School student.
Deerfield Beach, FL—Prosecutors will charge Wayne Treacy, the 15-year-old boy who attacked an eighth grade girl after she allegedly sent him offensive text messages regarding the recent suicide of his brother, as an adult in the premeditated attempted murder case. The ninth grade offender was formally indicted on Friday, April 16, 2010, denied bond and arraigned via video on Saturday, April 17, 2010. However, Treacy’s attorney told him to remain quiet during the cyber arraignment and he is expected to plead not guilty to the charges at hand, according to information provided by the Palm Beach Post, United Press International and previous coverage by Justice News Flash.
As a result of the March 17, 2010 beating, Ratley had to undergo surgery to reduce the swelling in her brain. According to the victim’s attorney in a news conference Wednesday morning, April 14, 2010, “Josie is now awake and doctors have conducted a series of exams and tests on her. Unfortunately, the results of that testing have confirmed their worst fears. Josie has experienced a traumatic brain injury. The area of the brain that has been most damaged is to the area that includes the ability to communicate. Josie cannot speak, Josie cannot walk and Josie has limited function in her right arm, right hand and right fingers… Josie will require extensive and long-term rehabilitative care, including physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy. Finally, Josie is scheduled to undergo surgery next Monday, April 19th.”
Reports also noted 13-year-old Kayla Manson, the young girl who allegedly led Treacy to Ratley on the day of the vicious attack, was charged as an accomplice in the beating. Under Florida law, unless Ratley succumbed to her injuries, Manson could not be charged as an adult. On Friday, Manson reportedly pleaded not guilty to the indictment of principal to attempted murder.
According to the attorney representing the defendant, Treacy, “You had a rational 15-year-old who at some point after his brother’s death became irrational… Something in his head snapped.” Treacy was transferred from a juvenile detention center and is being detailed in county jail. If convicted of premeditated attempted murder, Treacy could spend his life in prison.
Legal News Reporter: Sandra Quinlan- Legal News for Florida Criminal Lawyers.Online Criminal law Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Other News / Press Releases
- Emoticon use defense in cyberbullying case
- Zimmerman lawyer seeks to remove judge, keep records sealed
- Albany NY Medicare fraud: NY Senate majority leader accused of taking over $14M
- San Antonio CA criminal news: SAPD officer shot man who pulled out a squirt gun
- San Diego CA crime alert: Cal Fire truck stolen from an accident scene
- Deerfield Beach FL criminal update: 15-year-old charged as adult in beating case
- Deerfield Beach FL criminal law: Beaten middle schooler out of coma; TBI victim
- Palm Beach FL conspiracy: Public Works official offered contracts for kickbacks
- Muskogee Oklahoma injury: Gun shots reported at Arrowhead mall, 1 dead
- New Orleans Louisiana criminal news: Danziger Bridge massacre, cover-up revealed