Toppled crane killed worker on Smith Mountain Lake
Legal news for Virginia construction accident attorneys. A crane fell into a lake and killed a construction worker.
Virginia construction accident lawyers alert- A construction worker was killed when a crane fell into the Smith Mountain Lake.
Roanoke, VA—A construction worker was killed after a crane fell into the Smith Mountain Lake. The construction accident happened on Monday morning, October 5, 2009 around 11:30 a.m., in the Blackwater area of the lake, as reported by the Roanoke Times.
Officials with Franklin County’s Department of Public Safety reported, a construction worker identified as Roger Dale Goad, 55, of Henry, was operating a crane while dismantling a private Smith Mountain Lake dock when the accident occurred. The 18,000-20,000 pound crane somehow slipped off the barge that was supporting it above the water, and fell nearly 70 feet into the lake. It took Smith Mountain Lake Marine Volunteer Fire Rescue Department and rescue teams nearly two hours to recover Goad’s body from the sunken crane. Unfortunately, Goad did not survive the accident.
Rescue divers reportedly recovered the construction workers body near the crane. Goad was apparently employed by Plyler Homes and Docks for 34 years, when the construction accident occurred. Goad also was reportedly working with his son when the crane toppled over. Police officials are conducting a full investigation into the fatal construction accident. Plyler Homes state they plan to use another crane to extract the first one out of the lake.
Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for Virginia construction accident lawyers.Online Construction Accidents Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Other News / Press Releases
- Concord Debilitating Injury Attorney Blog: Enjoying Life After a Serious Injury
- What If I’ve Been Injured By Construction Site Debris?
- Bronx Construction Worker Killed by Falling Industrial Cooler
- Can There Be Compensation for Construction Accidents in Natural Disasters?
- NY Construction Workers Entitled to Compensation for Injury Caused by Negligence
- Parsons Kansas construction accident: 500-pound pipe crushes worker
- Port Arthur, TX refinery accident: Motiva refinery construction worker killed
- Columbus Ohio construction injury: concrete pump truck collapsed
- Ohio construction accident: 1 worker killed in trench collapse, 1 rescued
- Iowa construction accident— Strong winds pushed over concrete wall, worker dead