Accused Harvard student’s attorney says he was under pressure
12/18/2013 // West Palm Beach, Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Boston – A lawyer for the Harvard student accused of making a bomb threat before finals says his client was under pressure at the time. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), Eldo Kim, 20, was freed on bail Wednesday after being accused of sending hoax emails saying there were bombs in two buildings on the Harvard campus.
Federal public defender Ian Gold is quoted by the AP as stating, “It’s finals time at Harvard… In one way, we’re looking at the post-9/11 equivalent of pulling a fire alarm. Certainly I’m not saying the government response was unjustified, but it’s important to keep in mind we’re dealing with a 20-year-old man who was under a great deal of pressure.”
Alexander Ryjik, a junior from Alexandria, Va. who had to leave the building where he was set to take his Politics of American Education final exam expressed that hearing that a student was responsible for the hoax was not a surprise to him.
Ryjik is quoted as stating, “Harvard is just like every other school, where students are just as stressed and caught up with their work… At Harvard especially, people are scared to fail or do poorly, even a B. It just kind of reflects just how high-stress it is here. If it is true that a student sent a bomb threat to prevent himself from taking a final, I think it’s sad that somebody would have to go to that length.”
According to prosecutors a bomb hoax carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
This report is provided by Justice News Flash – Boston Legal News
Online Justice News Flash Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Inmate released from jail days before scheduled life saving cancer surgery
- Gigantic Jesus portrait drawn with chalk on church lot
- Mayor arrested on drug cartel extortion charges
- Former priest convicted in sex abuse case
- White supremacist charged in shooting deaths at Jewish community sites
- North Dakota abortion law overturned by federal judge
- US Airways investigates pornographic tweet sent after customer complaint
- Woman arrested after police attempt to return $50
- Mystery of 1971 disappearance of teens solved
- Phoenix woman ordered jailed over Clinton shoe throwing incident