Reporter sues for release of indictment in JonBenet Ramsey case
09/19/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Colorado – A reporter has filed a lawsuit for the release of an indictment in the murder case of JonBenet Ramsey. As reported by UPI.com, the reporter and press advocacy groups are pursuing the forced release of a secret 1999 grand jury indictment of the parents of JonBenet by the Boulder County district attorney.
The lawsuit was filed by Daily Camera reporter Charlie Brennan and the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press. The newspaper asserts there was confirmation by two members of the grand jury that they had voted to indict John and Patsy Ramsey on child abuse leading to death charges but there was a refusal by then D.A. Alex Hunter to sign the document.
Attorney Thomas B. Kelley is quoted in the report as writing in the filing, “The plaintiffs believe… that the indictment is a criminal justice record that reflects official action by the grand jury, and accordingly that it is subject to mandatory disclosure upon request… Alternatively, they argue the indictment should be disclosed to the public because such disclosure would serve the public interest in government transparency and not be contrary to the public interest nor cause undue adverse effect upon the privacy of the individual.”
JonBenet was found dead in the basement of her parents home in 1996. She was six-years-old at the time of her death. The Boulder District Attorney’s office announced in 2008 that her parents and their son Burke, had been exonerated by DNA evidence.
This report is provided by Justice News Flash – Colorado Legal News
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Starbucks developing new media company with ‘social impact content’ focus
- Google names Ruth Porat new CFO
- Angelina Jolie undergoes more preventative surgery after double mastectomy
- Bethenny Frankel ex “exploring legal options” after interview
- David Crosby involved in pedestrian car crash in California
- Lawsuit filed against Twitter alleging gender discrimination
- Holly Madison details emotional struggle while at Playboy mansion in memoir
- Lara Spencer to divorce husband after 15 years
- Florida counties seek to raise awareness about Craigslist crimes
- ‘One Direction’ member quits tour amid scandal