Poppy seed drug test lawsuit settled
07/03/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Pittsburgh, Pa – A Pennsylvania mother whose child was taken from her over a failed drug test linked to a poppy seed bagel has settled her lawsuit against a welfare agency and hospital. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), the settlement of the suit filed on behalf of Elizabeth Mort by the American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania was announced on Tuesday.
Mort reportedly failed a drug test after eating a poppy seed bagel leading to a positive test for opiates, which led to her 3-day-old daughter having a seizure. Her baby was subsequently taken from her home by a child welfare caseworker. According to the lawsuit, Mort was never told about the failed test while in the hospital nor asked if anything she had eaten could have had an affect on the results of the test.
Lawrence County’s child welfare agency and Jameson Hospital reportedly paid $143,500 to settle the case.
Pennsylvania ACLU staff attorney Sara Rose is quoted by the AP as stating of the settlement, “We hope that this case will encourage hospitals that routinely test pregnant women for drug use to reconsider that practice due to the harm that can result from false positives.”
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Pennsylvania legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Starbucks developing new media company with ‘social impact content’ focus
- Google names Ruth Porat new CFO
- Angelina Jolie undergoes more preventative surgery after double mastectomy
- Bethenny Frankel ex “exploring legal options” after interview
- David Crosby involved in pedestrian car crash in California
- Lawsuit filed against Twitter alleging gender discrimination
- Holly Madison details emotional struggle while at Playboy mansion in memoir
- Lara Spencer to divorce husband after 15 years
- Florida counties seek to raise awareness about Craigslist crimes
- ‘One Direction’ member quits tour amid scandal