Texts introduced in Ohio rape trial
03/14/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Steubenville, Ohio – Text messages from teens involved in an Ohio rape trial were introduced this week. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), the texts offered varying accounts of the circumstances surrounding what allegedly occurred between a 16-year-old girl and two high school football players accused of raping her.
Ma’Lik Richmond, 16, and Trent Mays, 17, whose names have already been identified in other media coverage and used in open court, have been charged with digital penetration of the girl at two locations last year. Both have maintained their innocence, alleging the sexual activities that occurred were mutual. Prosecutors state however, that the girl was intoxicated and unable to consent to sex at the time.
As quoted in the report, one text from the 16-year-old girl says, “Wait, I think I was drugged. I know I have no memory from after I left” the party.
If convicted on the charges, Richmond and Mays could be sentenced to stay in juvenile jail until they turn 21.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Ohio legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Witness testifies debt may force Sterling to sell team
- Missile that brought down Malaysia Airlines flight detected by U.S.
- Hospital agrees to $190 million settlement in secret patient recording case
- Boston Marathon suspect’s friend convicted on obstruction charges
- Iraqi Christians ordered by Islamic State to convert
- Missing Marine wife may have been shot, warrant suggests
- Rain halts exhumation of bodies of teenage girls allegedly raped
- Attorneys for restaurant say former mayor should disclose medical details
- Many express confusion over Indiana bicycle laws
- Child migrant surge changes tone of immigration debate