Texts introduced in Ohio rape trial
03/14/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Steubenville, Ohio – Text messages from teens involved in an Ohio rape trial were introduced this week. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), the texts offered varying accounts of the circumstances surrounding what allegedly occurred between a 16-year-old girl and two high school football players accused of raping her.
Ma’Lik Richmond, 16, and Trent Mays, 17, whose names have already been identified in other media coverage and used in open court, have been charged with digital penetration of the girl at two locations last year. Both have maintained their innocence, alleging the sexual activities that occurred were mutual. Prosecutors state however, that the girl was intoxicated and unable to consent to sex at the time.
As quoted in the report, one text from the 16-year-old girl says, “Wait, I think I was drugged. I know I have no memory from after I left” the party.
If convicted on the charges, Richmond and Mays could be sentenced to stay in juvenile jail until they turn 21.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Ohio legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Elizabeth Smart-Gilmour speaks at conference addressing human trafficking
- Teen lives inside Walmart unnoticed for days
- Holder promises full investigation into shooting of unarmed teen
- Brazilian presidential candidate, six others die in plane crash
- Law students file lawsuit over failed software
- 18-wheeler crash leads to shut down of major highway
- Woman alleges she lost out on job due to peanut allergy
- Couple falls from cliff, dies while taking selfies
- Australia affected by swine flu epidemic
- Animal rights activists file suit against Pennsylvania over state regulation