Missouri teen in sexual assault case attempts suicide, in stable condition
01/08/2014 // West Palm Beach, Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Missouri – The Missouri teen at the center of a case involving an alleged sexual assault has been reported to be in stable condition following a suicide attempt. As reported by the Kansas City Star, Daisy Coleman, whose allegations of being sexually assaulted at a house part in 2012 gained national attention, was being treated at the Kansas City children’s psychiatric hospital early this week after ingesting multiple pills.
Robin Bourland, a longtime acquaintance of the Coleman family, reportedly told the news source that the incident occurred after Coleman was harassed online following her attendance at a party over the weekend.
Bourland is quoted as stating of the Coleman family, “It’s been heartbreaking for them…This has been a really long, drawn-out battle, and it’s heartbreaking to see something like this happening.”
Matthew Barnett, then a 17-year-old Maryville High senior who is the grandson of a former state representative, was previously arrested in connection with allegations that Coleman and a friend, then ages 14 and 13, were sexually assaulted at his home. The charges were subsequently dropped against Barnett and another teen accused Jordan Zech, after Nodaway County prosecutor Robert Rice alleged there was a lack of evidence and cooperation from the victims and their families.
Both girls’ mothers have stated that they had been willing to cooperate with authorities prior to the charges being dropped.
This report is provided by Justice News Flash – Missouri Legal News
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Oscar Pistorius receives 5-year prison sentence for girlfriend’s death
- Global warming linked to mass extinction millions of years ago, study says
- Ebola to make chocolate prices soar?
- Nicole Scherzinger opens up about self-esteem battle, new album
- Panel approves $800,000 in spending for help with Ebola in Ohio
- Nurse’s aide in Spain now free of Ebola
- Maria Menounos has run in with attacker
- Black bear eats man after death
- Ricki Lake, husband of two years split up
- Facebook seeks to ‘unfriend’ DEA fake profile pages