Uproar over Russia MP Obama Twitter post
09/16/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Russia – A recent Twitter post by Russia MP Irina Rodina has sparked controversy, with accusations that the tweet was racist in nature. As reported by AFP, Rodina posted an image of President Barack Obama juxtaposed with a banana, inciting some to compare it to some football fans brandishing bananas at black players as a racial slur.
Rodina, 64, is a three-time Olympic gold medalist who won for figure skating in the 1970s and 1980s. She is now a member of the Public Chamber of Russia, and is part of the ruling party.
Journalist Tikhon Zyadko is quoted by AFP as posting on Twitter in response to Rodina’s post, “Duma deputy Irina Rodnina doesn’t hide she is a racist.”
Deputy editor of Moskovsky Komsomolets daily, Aider Muzhdabayev is further quoted as stating, “Maybe this is everyday racism. Maybe it’s that she was badly brought up and has a warped sense of humour.”
Rodina is quoted as stating in defense of her post, “Freedom of speech is freedom of speech! Deal with your hangups yourself.”
This report is provided by Justice News Flash – World Legal News
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Witness testifies debt may force Sterling to sell team
- Missile that brought down Malaysia Airlines flight detected by U.S.
- Hospital agrees to $190 million settlement in secret patient recording case
- Boston Marathon suspect’s friend convicted on obstruction charges
- Iraqi Christians ordered by Islamic State to convert
- Missing Marine wife may have been shot, warrant suggests
- Rain halts exhumation of bodies of teenage girls allegedly raped
- Attorneys for restaurant say former mayor should disclose medical details
- Many express confusion over Indiana bicycle laws
- Child migrant surge changes tone of immigration debate