Pentagon to allow same-sex spouses benefits
08/17/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Washington – The Pentagon is set to begin granting same-sex spouses of military members eligibility for the same benefits that are available to opposite-sex spouses. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), the Pentagon announced on Wednesday that beginning September 3, same-sex spouses will be able to receive health care, housing, and other benefits spouses of the opposite sex enjoy.
As noted in the report, the decision comes following the Supreme Court’s decision in June striking down the Defense of Marriage Act.
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is quoted by the AP as stating in a memo sent to senior Pentagon officials earlier this week, “It is now the department’s policy to treat all married military personnel equally.”
According to an estimate by defense officials, a purported 18,000 same-sex couples are in the active-duty military.
This report is provided by Justice News Flash – Washington Legal News
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Claims of glass crack pipe in Ashley Greene apartment fire false, source says
- ‘Welcome Back Kotter’ actress dies following breast cancer battle
- Pam Bondi requests stay not be lifted in same-sex marriage case
- Video embeds not a copyright violation, EU court says
- FBI arrests man for Gmail nude photo scam
- Russian weed company purchases Ebola.com
- Chuck Norris publicly gives support for Greg Abbott for Texas Governor
- Man gets arrested over ‘wet willy’
- Taylor Swift talks taking a dating pause
- Kendra Wilkinson expresses belief that husband was ‘set up’