Pentagon to allow same-sex spouses benefits
08/17/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Washington – The Pentagon is set to begin granting same-sex spouses of military members eligibility for the same benefits that are available to opposite-sex spouses. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), the Pentagon announced on Wednesday that beginning September 3, same-sex spouses will be able to receive health care, housing, and other benefits spouses of the opposite sex enjoy.
As noted in the report, the decision comes following the Supreme Court’s decision in June striking down the Defense of Marriage Act.
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is quoted by the AP as stating in a memo sent to senior Pentagon officials earlier this week, “It is now the department’s policy to treat all married military personnel equally.”
According to an estimate by defense officials, a purported 18,000 same-sex couples are in the active-duty military.
This report is provided by Justice News Flash – Washington Legal News
Online Justice News Flash Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- US Airways investigates pornographic tweet sent after customer complaint
- Woman arrested after police attempt to return $50
- Mystery of 1971 disappearance of teens solved
- Phoenix woman ordered jailed over Clinton shoe throwing incident
- Veteran teacher fired after ordering ‘hit’ on student
- Woman accused of killing her newborns appears in court
- IRS audit odds lowest since 1980s
- Man attempts to open door during flight, plane rerouted
- Ex-wife of congressman accuses him of violating divorce terms
- Family of ‘affluenza’ teen won’t pay full cost of court-ordered treatment