OxyContin drugmaker doctor suspect list closely guarded
08/11/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Connecticut – A list of doctors suspected of recklessly prescribing the pain medication OxyContin over the last decade has reportedly been seldom discussed publicly by drugmaker Purdue Pharma. As reported by the Chicago Tribune, the drugmaker has sold billions of dollars worth of the drug since it was introduced onto the market, and has made little effort to alert authorities about findings concerning the physicians, which some say could help avert a crisis involving prescription drug deaths.
Purdue’s database reportedly lists the names of over 1,800 doctors who are suspected of having provided pain pill prescriptions to addicts and drug dealers. The company is purported to have claimed to have reported only an estimated 8% of the doctors in the database to medical regulators or law enforcement.
Mitchell Katz, director of the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services, is quoted in the report as stating of the issue, “There is an ethical obligation… Any drug company that has information about physicians potentially engaged in illegal prescribing or prescribing that is endangering people’s lives has a responsibility to report it.”
OxyContin was introduced on the market in 1996.
This report is provided by Justice News Flash – Connecticut Legal News
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Cell phone app designed to detect how drunk people are
- Rose McGowan says “being sexualized” led to career change
- Cosby daughter, wife break silence about allegations against comedian
- Pennsylvania murder suspect found dead following manhunt
- 9-year-old driver crashes vehicle, two children killed
- Wal-Mart ordered to pay $188 million in employee lawsuit
- Jennifer Aniston discusses pressures to have children
- Colorado man sentenced to 80 years in murder of Sherry Arnold
- Beverly Johnson accuses Bill Cosby of having drugged her
- Kourtney Kardashian gives birth to third child with Scott Disick