OxyContin drugmaker doctor suspect list closely guarded
08/11/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Connecticut – A list of doctors suspected of recklessly prescribing the pain medication OxyContin over the last decade has reportedly been seldom discussed publicly by drugmaker Purdue Pharma. As reported by the Chicago Tribune, the drugmaker has sold billions of dollars worth of the drug since it was introduced onto the market, and has made little effort to alert authorities about findings concerning the physicians, which some say could help avert a crisis involving prescription drug deaths.
Purdue’s database reportedly lists the names of over 1,800 doctors who are suspected of having provided pain pill prescriptions to addicts and drug dealers. The company is purported to have claimed to have reported only an estimated 8% of the doctors in the database to medical regulators or law enforcement.
Mitchell Katz, director of the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services, is quoted in the report as stating of the issue, “There is an ethical obligation… Any drug company that has information about physicians potentially engaged in illegal prescribing or prescribing that is endangering people’s lives has a responsibility to report it.”
OxyContin was introduced on the market in 1996.
This report is provided by Justice News Flash – Connecticut Legal News
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Oscar Pistorius receives 5-year prison sentence for girlfriend’s death
- Global warming linked to mass extinction millions of years ago, study says
- Ebola to make chocolate prices soar?
- Nicole Scherzinger opens up about self-esteem battle, new album
- Panel approves $800,000 in spending for help with Ebola in Ohio
- Nurse’s aide in Spain now free of Ebola
- Maria Menounos has run in with attacker
- Black bear eats man after death
- Ricki Lake, husband of two years split up
- Facebook seeks to ‘unfriend’ DEA fake profile pages