Chinese researcher sentenced in cancer drug research theft case
08/09/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Milwaukee – A Chinese researcher has been sentenced after being accused in the theft of a cancer research drug. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), Hua Jun Zhao, 41, was sentenced to time served plus two years of probation on Tuesday for allegedly stealing three vials of the drug from the Medical College of Wisconsin and downloading related research that prosecutors say he planned to pass off as his own in China.
Zhao pleaded guilty to reduced charges last month. He is quoted as stating to the judge prior to being sentenced, “Please consider the possible damage to cancer research if the world views me as a criminal instead of as a dedicated research scientist.”
U.S. District Judge Charles Clevert, who noted the reputation and clean record of Zhao, is quoted by the AP as stating in sentencing him to time served for the 4½ months he had been jailed, “He has been incarcerated away from his family and he has not been able to continue the research that consumed his life.”
Zhao’s residency status in the U.S. must now be determined by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Milwaukee legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Cell phone app designed to detect how drunk people are
- Rose McGowan says “being sexualized” led to career change
- Cosby daughter, wife break silence about allegations against comedian
- Pennsylvania murder suspect found dead following manhunt
- 9-year-old driver crashes vehicle, two children killed
- Wal-Mart ordered to pay $188 million in employee lawsuit
- Jennifer Aniston discusses pressures to have children
- Colorado man sentenced to 80 years in murder of Sherry Arnold
- Beverly Johnson accuses Bill Cosby of having drugged her
- Kourtney Kardashian gives birth to third child with Scott Disick