Officials shut down farm after possible heat-related death
07/11/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
McFarland, CA – Cal/OSHA has shut down Etchegaray Farms LLC following the possible heat-related death of a farmworker. As reported by 23ABC News, workplace safety officials in California shut down the farm amid allegations that the farm operator failed to provide workers access to shade and other hazards.
The farmworker, identified as 37-year-old Juan Ochoa, was reportedly checking irrigation equipment in a lemon orchard when he collapsed. Temperatures in the nearby community had purportedly reached 106 degrees that afternoon.
The brother of the victim who had worked with him on the day he died alleged neither shade nor water was made available to workers and he could not get cell phone reception to call for help when his brother collapsed.
Officials are still investigating the allegations and circumstances of Ochoa’s death.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in California legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Nicole Scherzinger opens up about self-esteem battle, new album
- Panel approves $800,000 in spending for help with Ebola in Ohio
- Nurse’s aide in Spain now free of Ebola
- Maria Menounos has run in with attacker
- Black bear eats man after death
- Ricki Lake, husband of two years split up
- Facebook seeks to ‘unfriend’ DEA fake profile pages
- Quick-loss diets may be beneficial, according to study
- Jon Gosselin reportedly booted from home
- Glenn Close opens up about growing up in cult