Officials shut down farm after possible heat-related death
07/11/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
McFarland, CA – Cal/OSHA has shut down Etchegaray Farms LLC following the possible heat-related death of a farmworker. As reported by 23ABC News, workplace safety officials in California shut down the farm amid allegations that the farm operator failed to provide workers access to shade and other hazards.
The farmworker, identified as 37-year-old Juan Ochoa, was reportedly checking irrigation equipment in a lemon orchard when he collapsed. Temperatures in the nearby community had purportedly reached 106 degrees that afternoon.
The brother of the victim who had worked with him on the day he died alleged neither shade nor water was made available to workers and he could not get cell phone reception to call for help when his brother collapsed.
Officials are still investigating the allegations and circumstances of Ochoa’s death.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in California legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Police seek utility records after family of 8 poisoned by carbon monoxide
- Drummer in iconic band dies in car crash in Georgia
- Houston Big Rig Accidents Linked to Tire Blowouts Caused by Speeding
- Judge rules Advanced Micro Devices must face lawsuit
- Vanilla Ice must perform community service as part of plea deal
- Judge approves woman’s request to serve divorce papers via social media
- Teen writes letter rejecting university’s admission rejection
- Airline releases new statement in Germanwings crash
- Driver follows GPS off of bridge, wife dies in crash
- Arizona governor signs law blocking Obamacare abortion coverage