Officials shut down farm after possible heat-related death
07/11/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
McFarland, CA – Cal/OSHA has shut down Etchegaray Farms LLC following the possible heat-related death of a farmworker. As reported by 23ABC News, workplace safety officials in California shut down the farm amid allegations that the farm operator failed to provide workers access to shade and other hazards.
The farmworker, identified as 37-year-old Juan Ochoa, was reportedly checking irrigation equipment in a lemon orchard when he collapsed. Temperatures in the nearby community had purportedly reached 106 degrees that afternoon.
The brother of the victim who had worked with him on the day he died alleged neither shade nor water was made available to workers and he could not get cell phone reception to call for help when his brother collapsed.
Officials are still investigating the allegations and circumstances of Ochoa’s death.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in California legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Search continues for mom who went missing while running errands
- Man charged in fatal police chase crash
- New conspiracy charges for embattled California lawmaker
- Judge: Bring back firing squad executions
- Bose files suit against Beats over patents
- Sony agrees to preliminary settlement in class action case
- Fruit sold at Trader Joe’s, Costco, Ralphs recalled over Listeria scare
- Gunman opens fire in Delaware hospital
- Teen has record number of teeth removed
- Lawyers say Arizona inmate gasped during botched execution