Court rules man can challenge Oklahoma over license plate
06/13/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma – A federal appeals court has ruled in favor of an Oklahoma man seeking to challenge the state over a license plate depiction. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), Keith Cressman filed a lawsuit against state officials asserting that the Indian “rain god” license plate depicted religious beliefs that are conflicting with his own. The court ruled Tuesday that the sculpture on approximately three million state license plates could be interpreted as a religious endorsement by the state.
Nathan Kellum of the Center for Religious Expression in Memphis, Tenn. is quoted in the report as stating of Cressman, “He doesn’t want to be forced to say something that he does not want to say.” Cressman purportedly paid additional fees to obtain a specialty license plate to avoid displaying the one depicting Allan Houser’s “Sacred Rain Arrow” on it.
Diane Clay, a spokeswoman for Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt’s office which is defending the lawsuit, is further quoted as stating, “We’ll continue to defend the state’s position that Oklahoma’s license plate design does not violate Mr. Cressman’s constitutional rights.”
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Oklahoma legal news.
Online Justice News Flash Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Minnesota man on trial for teens’ deaths linked to break in
- Mother pleads guilty after drug overdose in McDonald’s play area
- Complaints over Michelle Obama graduation speech
- Woman sues over being denied ‘8THEIST’ license plate
- AMR effort to terminate retiree benefits blocked
- Crying child suffocated over video game
- Massachusetts teacher not punished for thrown chair
- Wyoming student jumps to death after eating marijuana cookie
- Inmate released from jail days before scheduled life saving cancer surgery
- Gigantic Jesus portrait drawn with chalk on church lot