Court rules man can challenge Oklahoma over license plate
06/13/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma – A federal appeals court has ruled in favor of an Oklahoma man seeking to challenge the state over a license plate depiction. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), Keith Cressman filed a lawsuit against state officials asserting that the Indian “rain god” license plate depicted religious beliefs that are conflicting with his own. The court ruled Tuesday that the sculpture on approximately three million state license plates could be interpreted as a religious endorsement by the state.
Nathan Kellum of the Center for Religious Expression in Memphis, Tenn. is quoted in the report as stating of Cressman, “He doesn’t want to be forced to say something that he does not want to say.” Cressman purportedly paid additional fees to obtain a specialty license plate to avoid displaying the one depicting Allan Houser’s “Sacred Rain Arrow” on it.
Diane Clay, a spokeswoman for Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt’s office which is defending the lawsuit, is further quoted as stating, “We’ll continue to defend the state’s position that Oklahoma’s license plate design does not violate Mr. Cressman’s constitutional rights.”
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Oklahoma legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Jennifer Aniston discusses pressures to have children
- Colorado man sentenced to 80 years in murder of Sherry Arnold
- Beverly Johnson accuses Bill Cosby of having drugged her
- Kourtney Kardashian gives birth to third child with Scott Disick
- Google announces addition of new languages for Google Translate
- 11-year-old steals money from grandmother, attempts to take taxi to Florida
- Lawsuit filed against Tyra Banks over ‘Top Model’ prize
- Former “Beverly Hillbillies” star files lawsuit against CBS
- Man jailed after stealing piece of Paul Walker crash car
- Dr. Dre highest earning musician of the year