Judge declines dismissal of wrongful death lawsuits in theater shootings
04/17/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Denver, Colorado – A judge ruled Wednesday that wrongful death lawsuits and other claims against the owner of a Colorado movie theater where a gunman opened fire last year could proceed. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), Judge R. Brooke Johnson declined to grant a dismissal of lawsuits brought against Cinemark USA resulting from a mass shooting July 20 in which 12 people were killed and many others injured.
Cinemark filed a motion for the dismissal of the suit in February, citing the claims did not demonstrate the company’s liability under the Colorado Premises Liability Act. Separate claims of negligence in the shootings were dismissed by the judge.
Christina Habas, an attorney for three plaintiffs wounded in the shooting, is quoted by the AP as stating of the judge’s decision, “The landowner must guard against dangerous conditions on their property, and in this case the shooter is not the dangerous condition…The dangerous condition is an unlocked and unmonitored exit door.”
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Colorado wrongful death news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Claims of glass crack pipe in Ashley Greene apartment fire false, source says
- ‘Welcome Back Kotter’ actress dies following breast cancer battle
- Pam Bondi requests stay not be lifted in same-sex marriage case
- Video embeds not a copyright violation, EU court says
- FBI arrests man for Gmail nude photo scam
- Russian weed company purchases Ebola.com
- Chuck Norris publicly gives support for Greg Abbott for Texas Governor
- Man gets arrested over ‘wet willy’
- Taylor Swift talks taking a dating pause
- Kendra Wilkinson expresses belief that husband was ‘set up’