Judge declines dismissal of wrongful death lawsuits in theater shootings
04/17/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Denver, Colorado – A judge ruled Wednesday that wrongful death lawsuits and other claims against the owner of a Colorado movie theater where a gunman opened fire last year could proceed. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), Judge R. Brooke Johnson declined to grant a dismissal of lawsuits brought against Cinemark USA resulting from a mass shooting July 20 in which 12 people were killed and many others injured.
Cinemark filed a motion for the dismissal of the suit in February, citing the claims did not demonstrate the company’s liability under the Colorado Premises Liability Act. Separate claims of negligence in the shootings were dismissed by the judge.
Christina Habas, an attorney for three plaintiffs wounded in the shooting, is quoted by the AP as stating of the judge’s decision, “The landowner must guard against dangerous conditions on their property, and in this case the shooter is not the dangerous condition…The dangerous condition is an unlocked and unmonitored exit door.”
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Colorado wrongful death news.
Online Justice News Flash Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- George Zimmerman’s girlfriend seeks to have domestic violence charges dropped
- Lamar Odom gets probation in DUI plea deal
- Johnson & Johnson officials accused of destroying vaginal mesh files
- Snapchat files for restraining order over information disclosure
- Pilot in fatal plane crash may have fake license, Russian investigators say
- Jennifer Lopez files for legal name change in divorce
- Apple spends more than $60 million on attorneys in US in Samsung battle
- Sharon Osbourne writes open letter to estranged brother on Facebook
- State Supreme Court hears arguments on Florida medical marijuana measure
- Teens arrested months after fatal car crash for allowing friend to drive drunk