Court rules in favor of lesbian couple denied a room at B&B
04/16/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Honolulu – A lesbian couple has won a discrimination lawsuit against a Hawaii B&B after being denied a room. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), a Hawaii First Circuit Court judge ruled in favor of Diane Cervelli and Taeko Bufford last week regarding their 2011 case against Aloha Bed & Breakfast. The women were purportedly denied a room there in 2007 after the owner expressed her religious views made her uncomfortable with allowing them to stay due to their sexual orientation.
The April 11 ruling orders the bed and breakfast to refrain from discriminatory practices against same-sex couples. It was stated to have been in violation of Hawaii’s public accommodations law.
Executive Director of the Hawaii Civil Rights Commission, William Hoshijo, is quoted by the AP as stating of the case ruling, “The court’s decision is based on Hawaii’s strong state civil rights laws which prohibit discrimination… When visitors or residents are subjected to discrimination, they suffer the sting of indignity, humiliation and outrage, but we are all demeaned and our society diminished by unlawful discrimination.”
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Hawaii discrimination law news.
Online Justice News Flash Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Ryan O’Neal says Farrah Fawcett Warhol portrait belongs to him
- Chicago pension crisis a growing concern
- Obama attends Mandela memorial in South Africa
- Heidi Montag, Spencer Pratt admit to blowing through millions
- French breast implant maker receives jail sentence
- George Zimmerman’s girlfriend seeks to have domestic violence charges dropped
- Lamar Odom gets probation in DUI plea deal
- Johnson & Johnson officials accused of destroying vaginal mesh files
- Snapchat files for restraining order over information disclosure
- Pilot in fatal plane crash may have fake license, Russian investigators say