Arkansas plans use of execution drug never tried before in US executions
04/16/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Arkansas – Arkansas is reportedly planning to begin using an execution drug that has never been tried before in executions in the U.S. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), although no executions are currently scheduled in the state, a spokesperson for the Arkansas Department of Correction has spoken of the state’s plans to use phenobarbital and lorazepam in the execution of future condemned prisoners.
Some see the move as controversial, calling the use of the barbiturate phenobarbital, which is also used for seizures, inhumane because of the length of time it requires to take effect.
Federal public defender Jenniffer Horan is quoted by the AP as writing in a letter to Democratic Gov. Mike Beebe, “No state has ever used Phenobarbital in a lethal injection procedure, and for good reason… Throughout the history of lethal injection, states have preferred ultra-short-acting barbiturates that cause rapid unconsciousness and death. Phenobarbital, however, has a long onset of action.”
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Arkansas legal news.
Online Justice News Flash Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- George Zimmerman’s girlfriend seeks to have domestic violence charges dropped
- Lamar Odom gets probation in DUI plea deal
- Johnson & Johnson officials accused of destroying vaginal mesh files
- Snapchat files for restraining order over information disclosure
- Pilot in fatal plane crash may have fake license, Russian investigators say
- Jennifer Lopez files for legal name change in divorce
- Apple spends more than $60 million on attorneys in US in Samsung battle
- Sharon Osbourne writes open letter to estranged brother on Facebook
- State Supreme Court hears arguments on Florida medical marijuana measure
- Teens arrested months after fatal car crash for allowing friend to drive drunk