Understanding Your Diagnosis of Pleural Mesothelioma
02/05/2013 // Chicago, IL, United States // Cooney & Conway // Ali Hayes // (press release)
Receiving a diagnosis of mesothelioma can be heart-rending for you and your loved ones. Once you are diagnosed with mesothelioma it is important to understand and know what type of mesothelioma you have.
Pleural is the most common type of mesothelioma. Around 50 to 70 percent of cases reported are of this type. The pleura is a tissue-thin lining around the lungs and other organs in the upper part of the body. Epithelial cells provide important functions such as filtration, secretion, protection, and absorption for certain organs within the pleura. Pleural mesothelioma is a cancer that attacks these cells and the connective tissue that can be found in the inner surface of the lungs.
The latency period is the same for other types of mesothelioma. Most cases of pleural mesothelioma are diagnosed later in life because it can take as long as 20 to 50 years between asbestos exposure and the onset of symptoms. It is imperative to stay up to date with your doctor if you are feeling the following symptoms: severe chest pain, pleural effusions (fluid build-up), rapid weight loss, shortness of breath, fatigue, weakness, persistent dry cough and loss of appetite.
Once you are diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma, the prognosis can be quite daunting. The survival rates are usually very low, a few months to a few years after diagnosis depending on your overall health (age, weight, disease history, etc.). However, this particular type of mesothelioma is more likely to respond to treatment, which can vary depending on your stage of cancer. Once you are diagnosed, most doctors will use an aggressive form of treatment such as, surgery (to remove the tumor or relieve fluid build-up), radiation and/or chemotherapy.
The expenses for all types of mesothelioma treatment can be costly and very overwhelming. It is important to review your insurance plan, and Medicare options; research government and VA benefits that you may qualify for. Consider a consultation with an attorney to discuss even more options on how to protect you and your loved ones.
For a free legal consultation anywhere in the United States, contact the national mesothelioma firm of Cooney & Conway. For more than 50-years we have been fighting for the rights of mesothelioma victims.
Online Justice News Flash Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Address: 120 N. LaSalle St.
Other News / Press Releases
- George Zimmerman’s girlfriend seeks to have domestic violence charges dropped
- Lamar Odom gets probation in DUI plea deal
- Johnson & Johnson officials accused of destroying vaginal mesh files
- Snapchat files for restraining order over information disclosure
- Pilot in fatal plane crash may have fake license, Russian investigators say
- Jennifer Lopez files for legal name change in divorce
- Apple spends more than $60 million on attorneys in US in Samsung battle
- Sharon Osbourne writes open letter to estranged brother on Facebook
- State Supreme Court hears arguments on Florida medical marijuana measure
- Teens arrested months after fatal car crash for allowing friend to drive drunk