Student gang rape trial begins in India
01/24/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
New Delhi – The trial of five men accused of the gang rape and murder of a student began Thursday in a special India court. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), the special court was recently set up to handle sexual assault cases following the attack last month of a 23-year-old student on a bus in New Delhi.
Protests sparked by the attacked led to calls for changes in the criminal justice system’s handling of crimes against women.
Abhilasha Kumari, a New Delhi-based sociologist, is quoted by the AP as stating of the attack’s potential impact on the country, “This case has brought the violence against women center stage and it has, out of sheer public pressure, forced the government to sensitize itself to crimes against women.”
If convicted, the men could be sentenced to death by hanging.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in world legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Nicole Scherzinger opens up about self-esteem battle, new album
- Panel approves $800,000 in spending for help with Ebola in Ohio
- Nurse’s aide in Spain now free of Ebola
- Maria Menounos has run in with attacker
- Black bear eats man after death
- Ricki Lake, husband of two years split up
- Facebook seeks to ‘unfriend’ DEA fake profile pages
- Quick-loss diets may be beneficial, according to study
- Jon Gosselin reportedly booted from home
- Glenn Close opens up about growing up in cult