Student gang rape trial begins in India
01/24/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
New Delhi – The trial of five men accused of the gang rape and murder of a student began Thursday in a special India court. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), the special court was recently set up to handle sexual assault cases following the attack last month of a 23-year-old student on a bus in New Delhi.
Protests sparked by the attacked led to calls for changes in the criminal justice system’s handling of crimes against women.
Abhilasha Kumari, a New Delhi-based sociologist, is quoted by the AP as stating of the attack’s potential impact on the country, “This case has brought the violence against women center stage and it has, out of sheer public pressure, forced the government to sensitize itself to crimes against women.”
If convicted, the men could be sentenced to death by hanging.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in world legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Over 1,200 giant African snails seized by USDA
- Reality show cancelled after star charged with rape
- Drug overdose cause of Drew Barrymore sister death
- Woman hit by bus, dies at Burning Man festival
- Justin Bieber compares paparazzi accident to Princess Diana tragedy
- Shirt resembling concentration camp uniforms pulled from clothing line
- Painkiller overdose deaths may be decreased by medical marijuana laws
- Child accidently shoots instructor in head at shooting range
- Bill and Melinda Gates offer $1 million to gun control coalition
- Square introduces update that allows people to text money