Student gang rape trial begins in India
01/24/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
New Delhi – The trial of five men accused of the gang rape and murder of a student began Thursday in a special India court. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), the special court was recently set up to handle sexual assault cases following the attack last month of a 23-year-old student on a bus in New Delhi.
Protests sparked by the attacked led to calls for changes in the criminal justice system’s handling of crimes against women.
Abhilasha Kumari, a New Delhi-based sociologist, is quoted by the AP as stating of the attack’s potential impact on the country, “This case has brought the violence against women center stage and it has, out of sheer public pressure, forced the government to sensitize itself to crimes against women.”
If convicted, the men could be sentenced to death by hanging.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in world legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Christy Mack discusses alleged brutal attack by MMA fighter
- Police seek utility records after family of 8 poisoned by carbon monoxide
- Drummer in iconic band dies in car crash in Georgia
- Houston Big Rig Accidents Linked to Tire Blowouts Caused by Speeding
- Judge rules Advanced Micro Devices must face lawsuit
- Vanilla Ice must perform community service as part of plea deal
- Judge approves woman’s request to serve divorce papers via social media
- Teen writes letter rejecting university’s admission rejection
- Airline releases new statement in Germanwings crash
- Driver follows GPS off of bridge, wife dies in crash