Student gang rape trial begins in India
01/24/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
New Delhi – The trial of five men accused of the gang rape and murder of a student began Thursday in a special India court. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), the special court was recently set up to handle sexual assault cases following the attack last month of a 23-year-old student on a bus in New Delhi.
Protests sparked by the attacked led to calls for changes in the criminal justice system’s handling of crimes against women.
Abhilasha Kumari, a New Delhi-based sociologist, is quoted by the AP as stating of the attack’s potential impact on the country, “This case has brought the violence against women center stage and it has, out of sheer public pressure, forced the government to sensitize itself to crimes against women.”
If convicted, the men could be sentenced to death by hanging.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in world legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Claims of glass crack pipe in Ashley Greene apartment fire false, source says
- ‘Welcome Back Kotter’ actress dies following breast cancer battle
- Pam Bondi requests stay not be lifted in same-sex marriage case
- Video embeds not a copyright violation, EU court says
- FBI arrests man for Gmail nude photo scam
- Russian weed company purchases Ebola.com
- Chuck Norris publicly gives support for Greg Abbott for Texas Governor
- Man gets arrested over ‘wet willy’
- Taylor Swift talks taking a dating pause
- Kendra Wilkinson expresses belief that husband was ‘set up’