Student gang rape trial begins in India
01/24/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
New Delhi – The trial of five men accused of the gang rape and murder of a student began Thursday in a special India court. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), the special court was recently set up to handle sexual assault cases following the attack last month of a 23-year-old student on a bus in New Delhi.
Protests sparked by the attacked led to calls for changes in the criminal justice system’s handling of crimes against women.
Abhilasha Kumari, a New Delhi-based sociologist, is quoted by the AP as stating of the attack’s potential impact on the country, “This case has brought the violence against women center stage and it has, out of sheer public pressure, forced the government to sensitize itself to crimes against women.”
If convicted, the men could be sentenced to death by hanging.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in world legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Cell phone app designed to detect how drunk people are
- Rose McGowan says “being sexualized” led to career change
- Cosby daughter, wife break silence about allegations against comedian
- Pennsylvania murder suspect found dead following manhunt
- 9-year-old driver crashes vehicle, two children killed
- Wal-Mart ordered to pay $188 million in employee lawsuit
- Jennifer Aniston discusses pressures to have children
- Colorado man sentenced to 80 years in murder of Sherry Arnold
- Beverly Johnson accuses Bill Cosby of having drugged her
- Kourtney Kardashian gives birth to third child with Scott Disick