Student gang rape trial begins in India
01/24/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
New Delhi – The trial of five men accused of the gang rape and murder of a student began Thursday in a special India court. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), the special court was recently set up to handle sexual assault cases following the attack last month of a 23-year-old student on a bus in New Delhi.
Protests sparked by the attacked led to calls for changes in the criminal justice system’s handling of crimes against women.
Abhilasha Kumari, a New Delhi-based sociologist, is quoted by the AP as stating of the attack’s potential impact on the country, “This case has brought the violence against women center stage and it has, out of sheer public pressure, forced the government to sensitize itself to crimes against women.”
If convicted, the men could be sentenced to death by hanging.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in world legal news.
Online Justice News Flash Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Calif. Case Raises Issue of Employee Privacy in Yum! Brands Employment Lawsuit
- Fighting Fraud in the Fog
- NYPD sued by civil rights groups over Muslim spying programs
- Bad eyesight likely contributor in fiery Oklahoma train crash
- Girl with special needs kicked out of theater for “humming”
- Suspect in custody after New Jersey restaurant shooting
- Supreme Court votes to allow ‘pay-for-delay’ generic drug deal challenges
- Allen Iverson ex-wife claims he’s kidnapped their children
- Former NFL player released from prison
- California prison airborne fungus case being considered by judge