Man, 70, weds 15-year-old teen
01/08/2013 // West Palm Beach , Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Saudi Arabia – A 70-year-old man has married a 15-year-old after the teen’s parents reportedly sold her to him for $20,000. As reported by CNN, human rights workers investigating the case confirmed Tuesday that the marriage had taken place in Saudi Arabia.
The Asir branch of the Human Rights Commission is reportedly planning to offer the girl assistance, including legal support, to the extent that it can be provided. The case was brought to the organization’s attention after the man, whose name was not revealed in the report, complained that the girl had returned to her family.
Dr. Suhaila Zein al-Abedin, a member of the Saudi National Association for Human Rights, is quoted in the report as stating of the case, “When you consider the very large difference in age, it looks more like this was not a marriage, but like the girl was sold… The girl’s parents need to be held responsible for this.”
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in world legal news.
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- LeAnn Rimes reality show axed from VH1
- Actress shocked by criticism after speaking about diversity
- Facebook impersonation lawsuit settled by Feds
- Most common password still ‘123456’
- Man charged in email, social media hack case
- Man nearly killed while filming crash on New Jersey turnpike
- Michael Douglas given Genesis Prize Foundation honor
- Muhammad Ali hospitalized after being found unresponsive
- Respecting the Seventh Amendment
- Google provides new structured data tool for webmasters