Judge rules in favor of sex change operation for inmate
09/04/2012 // West Palm Beach, Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Boston – A federal judge has ruled that a Massachusetts state prison must provide a taxpayer-funded sex-reassignment operation to an inmate. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), U.S. District Judge Mark Wolf made the ruling in the case of transgender inmate Michelle Kosilek, born Robert Kosilek and living in an all male prison, who sued the Massachusetts Department of Correction seeking treatment for gender-identity disorder, citing the surgery as a medical necessity.
Wolf is quoted by the AP as writing in his 126-page ruling, “The court finds that there is no less intrusive means to correct the prolonged violation of Kosilek’s Eighth Amendment right to adequate medical care.”
Kosilek was convicted of killing his wife in 1990.
Justice News Flash delivers the latest in Boston legal news.
Online Justice News Flash Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Famed homeless hitchhiker charged with murder
- Attorneys in untimely vaccine injury cases allowed to recover legal fees
- Rice contamination being investigated in China
- Supreme Court upholds FCC rule in cellphone tower case
- CT MTA Train Derails, Collides With 2nd Train, 70 Injured
- Government Intervention In A False Claims Act Case From Pill Popping to Pushing
- Abortion ban law blocked by federal judge
- Testimony in Arias trial brings jurors to tears
- Group of sheriffs file lawsuit to block gun control measures
- Amanda Knox ex speaks out about ordeal