San Diego Accident: Volunteer falls to his death on the historic Star of India
07/19/2010 // WPB, FL, USA // Personal Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley
San Diego, CA—A volunteer died after falling from the mast aboard a historic sailing ship, the Star of India. The Maritime Museum of San Diego volunteer fell 50-feet to his death on Sunday, July 18, 2010 at about 10:00 a.m., as reported by KSWB.
San Diego Fire Rescue officials reported that Gregory Vance Gunshaw, 68, of Coronado, was using a safety harness when something snapped, causing the man to plummet 50-feet from the rigging into the water, hitting his head on the historic ship along the way. Gunshaw was reportedly conducting an annual test on the ship with another co-worker when the accident occurred.
Street vendor, Jeff Minkin told FOX5, “I heard a snap. It sounded like rope snapping or a 2×4 splitting, and then I didn’t hear a yell or anything like that. The snap got my attention, and then I saw a blur coming down and hitting the ship.”
Other volunteers, who immediately began to administer CPR, pulled Gunshaw from the water. He was rushed to an area hospital and was tragically pronounced dead about an hour later.
Gunshaw was reportedly a former Naval officer and longtime volunteer at the museum.
The Star of India dates back to 1863, which is called “the world’s oldest active ship.” It is apart of a collection of historic vessel in the San Diego Bay area.
Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for California personal injury attorneys.
Online Illinois News Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Other News / Press Releases
- I-95 Single-Vehicle Rollover Accident Injures Staten Island Woman, 3 Kids
- Construction Accident at 2nd Ave Subway Site Seriously Injures Worker
- Two-Vehicle Western NY Crash Kills Man, Injures 3
- Single-Vehicle Wreck Ejects 1, Injures 2 Others in DeWitt
- SUV, Semi-Truck Crash Ejects Driver in Lancaster
- NYC Crane Accident Kills 1, Injures 4
- “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” Faces Legal Action from Injured Stuntman
- Three-Vehicle Crash Critically Injured Mass. Woman in Upstate NY
- CPSC: Happy Shirts Recalls Toy Truck Gifts with Purchase for Fire Hazards
- School Bus Head-On Crash with BMW Injures 5 in Kingston